Urban Biodiversity of Odonata at Retention Ponds
Department of Irrigation and Drainage (JPS) of Malaysia requires property development project exceeding 10.12 ha to construct retention or detention ponds under the Urban Stormwater Management Manual for Malaysia. These retention ponds normally have dual use - to turn into public recreational parks. I have visited a few of these retention ponds (recreational parks) for the past 2-3 years in Selangor – Shah Alam, Kajang and Semenyih. I must say that these retention ponds are good locations for dragonfly watching. To be honest, I was thrilled to observe some interesting Odonata species at these ponds in Selangor, such as Trithemis pallidinervis, Diplacodes nebulosa, Neurothemis tullia, Indothemis limbata, Chalybeothemis chini and Aethriamanta brevipennis, Tramea transmarina, Hydrobasileus croceus and Lestes decipiens. Indeed, these retention ponds are interesting urban landscape to promote urban biodiversity of Odonata.
Town Park, Bandar Bukit Raja, Shah Alam, Selangor
Canal Park, Setia Alamsari, Kajang, Selangor
Eco Forest, Semenyih, Selangor
Central Park, Tropicana Heights, Kajang, Selangor




No comments:
Post a Comment